There are 4 Historic Churches in Sandwich. Three of them, St. Clement's, St. Mary's, and St. Peter's also give their names to the old parishes of the town. The United Reformed Church is one of the earliest of the independent chapels - the present building dating back to 1706.
United Reformed Church Sandwich
Sandwich United Reformed Church is one of the earliest of the independent chapels - the present building dating back to 1706.
The Independent Chapels, or as they were called, Meeting Houses, erected by men and women who felt that they could not comply with the Act of Uniformity and who believed that they had a right to worship God in accordance with the dictates of their own conscience.
Though the beginnings of the Sandwich Independent Chapel are veiled in obscurity, there is sufficient evidence to prove that the cause was in existence prior to 1643. In that year we are told that they used as their Meeting House a building at the back of Guildhall on the site of an inn formerly used by Canterbury Pilgrims.
Of historical interest are the two wooden pillars supporting the centre of the church which were the masts of the ships which brought the 'Dissenters' to England.
The present church was built in 1706 at a cost then of nearly £400 and during the renovation of 1897 it was re-floored, re-roofed and re-seated in pine and a new pulpit was provided.
It was written some time ago but the history & places are still relevant also it's in English, French, German and Dutch.
Kent CT13 9AF
Please note that Open Sandwich bears no responsibility for the availability, content and services of 3rd party & external websites & web pages.
Open Sandwich: promoting Sandwich around the world since 1998 | Locally Designed & Hosted by Open Sandwich Design 2017