St. Nicholas Church Ash
The Village of Ash
The village of Ash, also known as Ash-Next-Sandwich, is 3 miles from Sandwich, on the Roman road to Canterbury. Nearby is an ancient Saxon cemetery at Guilton.
The church of St. Nicholas, parts of which date back to approx. 1190, has a 15th century tower and a spire which can be seen for many miles around.
When visiting the church it is worth noting:
- The early 13th century piscina.
- The brasses which date from the early 15th century.
- The mural monuments on the south wall of the Molland chancel to Sir Thomas Septvans and his wife and seven daughters. Five of the daughters are depicted holding skulls, indicating that they died in childhood.
- The effigies, which include a knight, lying with crossed legs, which is probably Sir John de Goshall, dated1306.